Find the right solution for your temperature needs
Many business segments depend on temperature monitoring as a crucial aspect of quality control. Whether it’s a highly regulated segment (like food, medical device or pharmaceutical) or a temperature-sensitive consumer good (like chemical or paint), temperature monitoring helps ensure superior product during shipment and storage. When choosing between chemical and electronic temperature monitoring, how do you know which one suits your need?
What’s the difference?
Chemical indicators are chemical-based temperature labels that are used primarily when you’re wanting to track temperature thresholds at the product or box level. Temperatures outside of safe range are distinctly indicated by an irreversible color change, a permanent record of excursion.
Electronic solutions such as electronic data loggers or electronic indicators can track both time and temperature. These devices offer the ability to read information remotely – anytime, anywhere. They do have the ability to read data quickly on an LCD or LED screen but are more used for full time and temperature history to assume responsibility within your supply chain.
Here are the advantages of a chemical monitor:
- You need a longer shelf life: Because chemical indicators don’t have a battery, they can be stored longer than electronic devices.
- A consumer will be reading the monitor: If you are shipping directly to a doctor, patient, or other type of consumer, ease of reading is important. A simple glance can offer all the information you need due to an accurate color change.
- Budget is tight: Chemical indicators are more cost-effective than electronic options. This feature makes it possible to ensure temperature monitoring without taking on a large expense.
Here are the advantages of an electronic solution:
- You need a more in-depth knowledge of what occurred or access to the entire temperature history: With a chemical indicator, you are only able to see the end results – if an incursion occurred or not. Using an electronic solution gives the ability to track the time and temperature data over the full lifecycle of the shipment or storage.
- You are shipping or storing a high-price point product: When your products are higher priced, using an electronic monitor will give you peace of mind. Electronic options offer the ability to view information while products are in transit so you can make accurate and effective decisions at any point within the supply chain.
- You need to set specific time and/or temperature alarms and know if they have triggered: Electronic solutions offer multiple excursions options as well as an easy-to-read screen that notifies you if alarms have been triggered.
Before you Go:
Temperature discrepancies can decrease product quality and your business’ bottom-line. Ensuring that you have the right monitoring in place is imperative. ATI offers a full product portfolio of products including both chemical and electronic solutions. Contact us today and we will help fit you with the proper temperature monitoring solution.